Tuesday, July 26, 2011

When People Wrote Letters

This antique letter slot makes me long for a time when we still wrote letters.


When I was in the fourth grade, I had a pen pal from Buffalo, NY. We spent a summer or so exchanging letters back and forth about our afternoons spent riding bikes & swimming before losing touch.


My letter writing continued in middle school after two summers at church camp. Before cell phones, instant messaging, and Facebook, keeping in touch meant putting pen to paper. We wrote letters on stationery, sent cards, and even included a photo or two inside a carefully sealed envelope. It was such an exciting feeling to open the mailbox and see a letter from a friend inside.


I still cherish these letters and will keep them as a sort of time capsule to share with my daughter about a simpler time {not so long ago}.

No comments:

Post a Comment